||Teacher, Jr. High, St. Thomas Aquinas, East Lansing, Michigan (1977-1980), Holy Rosary Academy, Bay City, Michigan (1974-1977). Focus: English Literature, Grammar & Composition
||Stratton-Cheeseman Management Company, Medical Malpractice and General Insurance Field Sales
||The Bishop Company, Technical Writing Support & Marketing Specialist
||Michigan Association of Insurance Companies, Communications Director
||Professional Insurance Agents of Michigan/Michigan Association of Insurance Agents (a consolidated
organization), representing independent property & casualty insurance agents. Position: Education Director/#2
Executive from 1987-1991, Sr. Vice President for Professional Development from 1991-1996 for merged organization.
||SIAA-Midwest Regional President, Satellite Insurance Agency Alliance, developing an alternative distribution system for insurance in the region.
||Owner, Leading Edge Mentoring, building capacity in governance, leadership and management
||Partner, Managing Education Resource Group, President of the Insurance Division
||Partner, Partners in Policy Governance PolicyGovernanceConsulting.com, a collaboration to support Policy Governance practitioners.
||CEO, International Policy Governance Association (volunteer role)
||Association Manager, Nevada Association of Nurse Anesthetists (part-time position)
||President, Association for Strategic Planning (volunteer role)
Academic & Professional Education
||Bachelor of Arts, Aquinas College, Grand Rapids, Michigan Major: Communication Arts, Minor: English and Education
||Masters in Education in Individualized Instruction, College of St. Scholastica, Duluth, Minnesota
||Certified Insurance Counselor, Society of Certified Insurance Counselors
||Associate in Risk Management, Insurance Institute of America
||Certified Association Executive, American Society of Association Executives (mastery of knowledge in 13 areas of association management)
||Participant, Policy Governance® Academy, Carver Governance Design
||Certification for Spiral Dynamics, Levels I & II
||Advanced Workshop in Policy Governance®, Carver Governance Design
||Systems Thinking and Strategic Management Gold Mastery Certification, Haines Centre for Strategic Management, in conjunction with the University of San Diego.
||Strategic Management Professional designation, awarded by the Association of Strategic Planning, demonstrating mastery level knowledge and core competencies in the Strategic Planning industry at the highest level.
||Certified as a Certified Professional Behavior Analyst, awarded by TTI Success Insights.
||Certification Specialist credential awarded by the Institute for Credentialing Excellence.
Current Membership and Volunteerism
- Church of St. Michael, Grand Ledge, Michigan, Choir accompanist
- Govern for Impact, member. Formerly known as International Policy Governance Association, (IPGA) Board member 2005-2010, CEO 2010-2012
- Michigan Society of Association Executives (MSAE), Faculty member
- American Society of Association Executives (ASAE)
- ssociation for Strategic Planning (ASP), Board member, 2013-Current Co-Chair Non-Profit Center for Excellence Conference Co-Chair 2014, 2015 New Business Model facilitator & 2016 Chair of Certification Operations Committee; 2019-current, Chair of the Certification Commission
- Janice Laureen Award for Outstanding Service to ASP 2019
- The 2015 Governor’s Awards for Innovative Tourism Collaboration for the Northwest Michigan Wine Tasting Room Training Program in the category of Education & Training. (co-recipient)
- Janice Laureen Award for Outstanding Service to ASP 2013-14
- MSAE Diamond Award, Supplier/Partner Personal Award, in recognition of exemplary service and support to
the not-for-profit professional and to MSAE, September, 2003.
- MSAE Chairman's Gavel Award, presented by Jim Barrett, CEO of Michigan Chamber of Commerce, for dedicated
service to the profession proven by advancing the ideals and aspirations of the Chairman of the Board, July,
- 2001 Woman of the Year, ABWA Seven Islands Charter Chapter, January 2001
Published Work (2004-current)
- 2021 Associations Now Board Brief: Leading Together, pages 17-18, article published by ASAE.
- 2020 Modern Board Essentials and Modern Board Advanced Course, sponsored by Capacity Canada and hosted by Conestoga College based in Ontario, Canada.
- 2020 Professional Practices in Association Management, 4th edition, a publication of ASAE. Role: Executive Managing Editor
- 2020 Governing by Principles, a Proven Method to Unleash the Power of Policy Governance, published by PPG Press, © 2020
- 2016 Rethinking Leadership Succession, Association Impact, published by MSAE
- 2015 A Handbook of Professional Practices in Association Management, 3rd Edition, a joint publication of Wiley & Sons and ASAE, ©2015 Role: Executive Managing Editor & Contributing Author
- 2015 Governance Modes for High Performing BoardsAssociation Impact, published by MSAE, Issue 6
- 2014 Wine Tasting Room Server Handbook, Trainer’s Guide and Video Series, © 2014 owned by Network Northwest
- 2014 What CSEs Really Need to Know, Association Impact, published by MSAE, Issue 2
- 2014 Executive Sessions, Association Impact, published by MSAE, Issue 6
- 2012, Associations as Knowledge Managers Association Impact, published by MSAE
- 2011, How to Develop an Extraordinary Chairman of Your Board Association Impact, published by MSAE
- ©2011, Effective Governance, article and assessment tool, co-authored with Karl Sommers,
published by Haines Centre for Strategic Management.
- ©2011, Taking a Whole System Approach to Adopting Policy Governance, Board Leadership, ©Wiley
Periodicals, Inc., Number 108, Mar-Apr 2010
- ©2011 The Bellman Handbook, Leading Edge Mentoring (US Publication)
Phone: (517) 256-4786
Email: [email protected]
Address: 302 E Jefferson, Grand Ledge, MI 48837-1539