The Haines Centre for Strategic Management is an international alliance of independent master consultants, trainers and facilitators, who specialize in the application of the systems thinking approach to strategic management (strategic planning, strategic human resources, leadership, and strategic change) and organizational innovation.
This Alliance was founded in 1990 in San Diego USA, and currently has alliance partners in the US, Canada, Australia, United Arab Emirates, Israel, India, Vietnam,Thailand, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Indonesia, China and Singapore.
Haines Centre Midwest’s contribution to the worldwide network is governance expertise.
Partners in Policy Governance is a collaborative effort with Eric Craymer of Growth Management Consulting. Our Global End is: a supported community of Policy Governance® users. To that end, we offer seminars for the public, user groups for Policy Governance practitioners, board retreats and orientations focused on Policy Governance sustainability and model-compliant practices.
Managing Education Resource Group (MERG) is a partnership between Radwan and John Shaheen, the Executive VP of the American Institute of Paralegal Studies. MERG offers computer-mediated, faculty-facilitated education to a variety of marketing partners in the US, with particular emphasis in the property/casualty insurance agency industry and the association management profession. Related addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org and www.mergonline.com.
In her capacity as President of the MERG Insurance Division, Radwan oversees marketing partnerships with organizations interested in offering on-line coursework to their membership. She is personally responsible for the development of the New Employee Series of courses for new insurance agency personnel. The portfolio of courses currently includes: New Employee Orientation, Delivering Quality Service to the Customer and the Employer, Personal Lines Coverage Basics, and Commercial Lines Coverage Basics.
The CAE Exam Preparation Program is a collaborative effort between the Michigan Society of Association Executives (MSAE) and Leading Edge Mentoring. This long-standing collaboration involves the on-line delivery of a 12 week curriculum for association executives pursuing the designation of Certified Association Executive.
In addition to the collaboration with MSAE on the CAE study program, Radwan and MSAE have collaborated on projects in the country of Jordan in fulfillment of USAID grants, as well as in the creation of The Association Connection, MSAE’s webcast on-demand series. The webcasts cover 20 topics geared to association executives and support staff, suppliers to associations, and board members.
The webcasts are available at www.msae.org or call (517) 332-6723 for more information.
Radwan partners with Association Management Resources (AMR) of Ann Arbor, Michigan, to provide governance services to AMR’s 11 clients, including MPTSA, MCSS, ATMAE, MPTA, and MANA. www.managedbyAMR.com.
Policy Governance® is more than a structure. It is an integrated model of principles, philosophy, structure and process. The governing style of a Policy Governance board is best described in the following broad policy, entitled Governing Style:
"The board will govern with an emphasis on (a) outward vision rather than an internal preoccupation, (b) encouragement of diversity in viewpoints, (c) strategic leadership more than administrative detail, (d) clear distinction of board and chief executive roles, (e) collective rather than individual decisions, (f) future rather than past or present, and (g) proactivity rather than reactivity.
On any issue, the Board must insure that all divergent views are considered in making decisions, yet must resolve into a single organizational position.
Features of the Model:
- The Board is accountable to the Owners (the group that gives the organization its legitimacy and for whom the board serves as the moral trustee). Customer accountability is the job of management. The Board, however, establishes and monitors the direction of the organization through Ends policy which determines, “what good, for which beneficiaries, at what cost to the organization.” The Board also establishes policy to define parameters for unacceptable operational performance as well as its own rules of engagement for linking with the external ownership and the internal operational organization.
- The Board acts as the moral trustees of the entire ownership, rather than constituency representation.
- The Board has only one employee, the CEO.
- Policy is developed from broadest conceptual concern to smaller policies. The Board stops making policy when it can accept ANY reasonable interpretation of its words.
- Policy is developed in four categories: Ends, Executive Limitations, Board-CEO Linkage, and Governance Process/Ownership Linkage.
The philosophical bases for the model:
- Clear and defined accountability
- The Board and CEO demonstrating servant-leadership
- Empowerment of the Board and CEO to do what they do best
- Clarity of group values where the Board seeks the range of diverse opinion within the ownership community, but resolves into a single organizational voice.
The Process of Policy Governance:
- Policy drives EVERYTHING
- When an issue comes before the Board, the entity first establishes:
- Is this a shared issue? If so, then:
- Whose issue is this?
- What have we already said in policy relating to this issue?
- Do we need to say more about the issue?
- The Board monitors compliance with all policies established, including a self-assessment of its own practices that may undermine operational accountability.
Susan Radwan is a 1999 graduate of the Policy Governance® Academy. She partners with consultant Eric Craymer of Growth Management Consulting, Inc. of East Lansing, Michigan, doing business as Partners in Policy Governance® (PPG). This partnership was formed create a coordinated support system for Policy Governance practitioners. Radwan holds a fondness for Board work and connection while Craymer has a particular affinity for the operational implementation of Policy Governance. When Radwan and Craymer combine their talents, a synergy occurs in the client’s implementation of Policy Governance. All efforts are aligned and each entity has access to their own consultant. Visit the Partners in Policy Governance website at www.PolicyGovernanceConsulting.com.
Policy Governance® is the service mark of John and Miriam Carver. The authoritative website for Policy Governance® is www.policygovernance.com.
Policy Governance® Specific Topics:
General Governance Topics:
|< How we work||Our Services >|